We use brain imaging, in both humans and animal models, to investigate how sleep affects the brain. For example, we aim to understand:
- How variations in sleep quality affect brain structure and function across the lifespan
- How interventions aimed at improving sleep influence the brain
- How brain injury affects sleep
- How sleep influences brain processes of learning and consolidation
- How genetic mutations affect brain structure and function via their regulation of circadian rhythms and sleep
This work involves close collaboration between the SCNi and the Wellcome Centre for Integrative Neuroimaging.